Proper selection of pipeline materials for any utility system or portions thereof should be based on a wide variety of factors, not just price alone. Based on actual material properties and their related values, along with experiences through the years, this audience-driven comparative-style presentation considers topics and assessments such as:
- Internal pressure design and pressure ratings – there is a notable difference,
- external loading and the trench contributions required for various pipeline materials,
- the three-prong flexible conduit theory of design and why it matters,
- quality assurance and proof-testing employed during product manufacture,
- handling, storage, and protection nuances related to each pipeline material,
- installation and hydraulic differentials among popular pipeline materials, and
- the universal constant of fittings.