Pipelines are critical infrastructure around the world. With proper and responsible design principles applied pipelines can serve for more than 100 years establishing improved water, energy, and materials efficiencies for generations to come while having a minimal impact on the ecosystem. The Envision Rating System has often been described as the ASCE version of the highly-regarded Green Building Council LEED program, as evidenced in their general mission statement which declares “The purpose of Envision is to initiate a systemic change, to transform the way infrastructure is designed, built, and operated.” Administered by the Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure, the Envision Rating System includes and evaluates:
- Quality of Life – purpose community, and well-being.
- Leadership – siting, land & water, and biodiversity.
- Resource Allocation – materials, energy, and water.
- Natural World – collaboration. management, and planning.
- Climate and Risk – emissions and resilience.